Before you can start making those lovely upcycled pieces, you first have to find your components, right!!! This can be one of the most enjoyable parts of Upcycling, but it can also be one of the most frustrating.
Here are 5 tips on how to get the most out of your Upcycled Treasure hunts:
1. Hit several thrist stores/antique stores during one outting. Map out the thrift stores you want to visit. You will want to visit several stores during one shopping trip because you’ll likely have to hit a few to find what you want. Check out Thrifty Planet or The Thrift Shopper to see where stores are located near you.
2. Know beforehand how much you want to spend per find. Sometimes you will find a fantastic find, but the price will be super high!!! There are several reasons why a vintage find can be priced high (the material it is made out of, its a designer piece ect), but you have to know when to leave a find at the store. The higher the price, the less of a return on your finished piece.
3. Get to know your local antique store owners and introduce yourself as a jewelry designer looking for components to upcycle. You will be suprised at how many will have broken components that are not on display that they are willing to sell you. If they know what you are looking for, they can save broken components they come across in the future instead of discarding them.
4. Shop the Sales!!! Did you know that even thrift shops have sales??? Stay connected with the local thrift shops by signing up for a newsletter or through thier facebook page. Bigger stores like GoodWill often let thier customers know in advance when they have sale days. Be prepared though, because everyone loves a sale and it can get crazy, but you can get some amazing finds at fantastic prices!
5. Bring Cash. Many thrift stores don’t take credit cards, and it’s heartbreaking to have to walk away from the perfect find because you forgot to bring change!
Have any fun stories from your treasure hunts? Share them with us below!